How Does It Work?
- Sign up and pay for the Cryptic Wine trail online. You will receive a text message with your unique link within 1 hour from completing the payment.
- Start on Spui between 14:30-18:00 Tuesday to Saturday by opening the link, that you received upon purchase, in your browser on your smartphone. Simply press the Start button to start playing.
- Solve 8 clues by typing the answers in the text box and hit the ‘I’ve got it!’ button to submit your answer.
- Enjoy discovering the city, the wine spots and sampling wines. Each correct answer takes you to your next location within walking distance. Some correct answers get you a sample of wine!
- Most answers are made up of one word only or a number – there are a few exceptions.
- Ask for a hint, by clicking the ‘I need help’ button, if you need a little help solving a clue. HINTS will get you nearer to the location where you need to search for the answer to your clue.
- Please note there’s only one HINT per clue. Each HINT you ask for will add 10mins ‘penalty time’ to your overall time.
- In case you’d like to skip a clue without solving it and want to receive the next one, press the ‘Skip this clue’ button. We recommend asking for a HINT before you skip a clue to make sure you are near the right spot to continue from.
- Skipping a clue adds 20 minutes ‘penalty time’ to your overall time.
- You can always close and reopen your browser – and using your same unique link, you can continue playing where you left off.
Location & Timings
- Start: Amsterdam’s Cryptic Wine Trail starts in front of Begijnhof on Spui. The trail can be played Tuesday to Saturday, starting between 14:30 – 18:00.
- End: The trail ends on the Keizersgracht at about a 10-minute walk from the starting point.
- Distance & duration: The trail is spread across approximately 1,5 kilometres and takes between 1,5 to 2 hours to complete. However, there is no time limit on completing this trail at all, so enjoy your new city and wine discoveries at leisure!
- Break: The trail includes a stop in two wine spots.
- Difficulty level: Easy.
Hear and read what recent players said about our trails here.
Read our Terms & Conditions here.